Federal authorities announced today they are giving Massachusetts residents an additional month, until the end of June, to file for disaster relief funds after record-setting floods this spring damaged the region's homes and businesses.
Debra Young, a spokeswoman with the Federal Emergency Management Agency, said in a telephone interview today that the extension was given because so many people were racing to file in time, and many were belatedly realizing their properties had suffered damage. The original deadline for filing for relief was May 28.
She said walk-in recovery centers, where residents can ask questions and pick up forms, will still close as scheduled. Currently, four centers remain open, though the one in Concord is slated to close at the end of today. The center in Fall River is scheduled to close Thursday, Boston's Hyde Park center is set to close Friday, and the one in Lakeville is to set to close on June 4, she said.
After the centers close, residents can still obtain information and apply at www.DisasterAssistance.gov or by calling 1-800-621-FEMA (3362) or 1-800-462-7585 for people with speech or hearing disabilities.
So far, an estimated 33,000 people in Bristol, Essex, Middlesex, Norfolk, Plymouth, Suffolk and Worcester counties have applied for some form of disaster assistance, either in the form of grants or low-interest loans.
On the beat
Columnist Shirley Leung says Boston mayor-elect Martin J. Walsh should focus on middle-class housing. Read more