A two-alarm fire killed three pets and displaced several residents of a Beverly apartment building today.
The careless disposal of smoking materials caused the Manor Road blaze, which began on a second-floor porch. Firefighters responded at 10:47 a.m., said Chief Paul Cotter.
Residents were unaware of the fire until it broke through a window, authorities said. Smoke detectors and a resident of another building in the complex alerted residents to evacuate the triple-decker building.
A firefighter suffered a cut to his finger, authorities said. No other injuries were reported, but two cats and a parrot died.
“We’re always upset about that because people can lose everything, but you can save their pets,” Cotter said.
Heavy fire spread from the second and third floors to the attic, he said. The fire was brought under control within an hour and a half, he said.
Pulled ceilings and fire, smoke, and water damage displaced residents in at least five of about 12 units, and residents of adjacent units may also have been displaced, Cotter said. Two units are considered a complete loss, authorities said. Damage is estimated at $375,000, and $80,000.
Firefighters cut power to the 26-unit complex, authorities said. The Red Cross arrived to aid the 50 residents as needed.
On the beat
Columnist Shirley Leung says Boston mayor-elect Martin J. Walsh should focus on middle-class housing. Read more