The search continues today in Weston for the metal coupling connecting two water mains that failed earlier this month, causing a drinking water crisis for nearly 2 million people in eastern Massachusetts.
Since last week, workers have been combing the area where the pipes bringing water to Boston and other communities sprang a leak and dumped millions of gallons into the Charles River.
Massachusetts Water Resources Authority spokeswoman Ria Convery says workers have completed the removal of soil that was washed into the river and will continue to sift through it. They'll also take another look at the river bank.
Metal-detecting equipment has been used and special ground-penetrating radar has been used in the search. She said radar experts are expected to report this morning on likely places for further excavation.
When the collar broke May 1, the MWRA was forced to switch to backup water, and residents were ordered to boil water used for drinking and cooking. The MWRA frantically rushed to reconnect the two pipes and restore water flow. The boil-water order was lifted 2½ days later, after repairs were completed and tests found that the water supply was safe.
Workers began began Thursday to dredge muck from the Charles, looking for the collar connecting the two sections of pipe.
On the beat
Columnist Shirley Leung says Boston mayor-elect Martin J. Walsh should focus on middle-class housing. Read more