In a reversal, a Boston media consortium has invited Green-Rainbow Party candidate Jill Stein to participate in its gubernatorial debate next week.
Stein had been told Friday that she was unlikely to meet the criteria the six-member consortium, which includes the Globe and several television and radio outlets, set to determine candidates’ viability in a general election.
She had met several of the conditions, including registering above 5 percent support in one major opinion poll. But she fell short of the requirement that she raise $100,000 between January and Oct. 1. Stein’s campaign said she had raised $70,000 and that it was nearing the $100,000 mark before Oct. 1.
In a statement, the consortium said it would include Stein in the first debate because it comes before the Oct. 1 fund-raising deadline.
“Given that the debate falls before that date, we will allow Jill Stein to participate in the Sept. 21 debate," the consortium said in a statement. "We will reassess after Oct. 1 to determine whether Stein qualifies for the second consortium debate, on Oct. 26."
The debates will also include Governor Deval Patrick, a Democrat; Charles D. Baker, a Republican; and state Treasurer Timothy P. Cahill, an independent.
Stein, who has run for office several times, including once for governor, said she was relieved, but that the principle had not changed. Voters, she said, are unhappy with business as usual and eager to hear an outside voice.
“Media that take advantage of the public airwaves should not be in the business of censoring the public debate, period,” she said. “And attaching a price tag to the admission to a public debate is exactly what’s wrong with politics as we know it.”
On the beat
Columnist Shirley Leung says Boston mayor-elect Martin J. Walsh should focus on middle-class housing. Read more