Democratic state auditor candidate Suzanne Bump said today that a review by the Boston assessing department had determined that she is not entitled to a residential property tax exemption and she will pay the nearly $6,000 she had saved under the tax break.
"The City's Assessing Department reviewed the facts ... and has determined that, for purposes of the residential exemption, our South Boston condominium is not our principal residence, and they have removed the exemption," she said in a statement released this afternoon.
Bump had already sent a check for $5,875.05 to the city on Thursday in case officials decided that she did not merit the exemption. She said in a statement today that the department had "accepted the payment I made yesterday."
She thanked the assessing department for "their prompt response to my request for a review of my residential tax exemption."
The Globe had reported Thursday that Bump and her husband, Paul F. McDevitt, had been receiving residential tax breaks on homes in both Boston and Great Barrington by reporting each as their principal residence.
Bump said after the Globe story was published that receiving the breaks was both "legal and appropriate" and she had received verbal assurances from assessors in both towns that she was on firm ground. But she said out of an "abundance of caution" she would seek a ruling from the Boston department.
"I'm not as concerned with her issues as I am with running my own campaign, staying on a positive note," said Mary Z. Connaughton, the Republican vying with Bump in the Nov. 2 election. "I choose to talk about why I'm qualified and would make a terrific auditor and that's my focus."
On the beat
Columnist Shirley Leung says Boston mayor-elect Martin J. Walsh should focus on middle-class housing. Read more