Boston firefighters have evacuated a Dorchester apartment building this morning after finding high levels of carbon monoxide inside the units.
The potentially fatal gases were released when workers were in the basement cutting up an old oil tank, said department spokesman Steve MacDonald.
He said firefighters arrived at 19 Bradlee St. around 8 a.m. today. After the evacuation, firefighters will work to ventilate the building and reduce the dangerous levels of carbon monoxide, MacDonald said.
Five people were evaluated for exposure to carbon monoxide at the scene, but none were transported to hospitals, according to Jennifer Mehigan, spokeswoman for Boston Emergency Medical Services. She said the five people declined treatment.
On the beat
Columnist Kevin Cullen says Bobby Long and Tom Foley did more than the entire FBI to bring Whitey Bulger to justice. Read more