Boston firefighters didn't have to go far to battle a fire that caused $500,000 in damage early this morning in a high-rise building. There is a fire station on the building's ground floor.
Fire department spokesman Steve MacDonald said the blaze broke out at 4:55 a.m on the 16th floor of the building at 125 High St.
He said the building's sprinklers were activated and put out most of the fire, but there was water damage on several floors.
MacDonald said the cause of the one-alarm fire appears to be an electrical short circuit. No injuries were reported.
Engine 10, Rescue 1, and Tower Ladder 3 are located in the firehouse, which is on the ground floor of the building facing Purchase Street.
On the beat
Columnist Shirley Leung says Boston mayor-elect Martin J. Walsh should focus on middle-class housing. Read more