Three homes in West Roxbury were evacuated after 5 p.m. this evening due to a manhole fire on Gertrude Street, a Boston Fire Department spokesperson said.
According to the Fire Department, some smoldering cables in the manhole led to increased levels of carbon monoxide in the basements of the homes involved requiring residents to leave.
Fire Department officials are standing by while NSTAR addresses the electrical problems caused by the fire.
No injuries have been reported.
On the beat
Columnist Shirley Leung says Boston mayor-elect Martin J. Walsh should focus on middle-class housing. Read more