Two teachers were transported to the hospital for evaluation after a spill of ammonium hydroxide in a closet at a Hyde Park school, fire officials said.
"One of them may have tried to clean it up," said Boston Fire Department spokesman Steve MacDonald.
The spill from a bottle of cleaning fluid was reported at about 12:30 p.m. at the Boston Trinity Academy on Hale Street, the fire department said. None of the school's 210 students, in grades 6 to 12, were injured. But the school was closed for the rest of the day.FULL ENTRY
The Boston police bomb squad today responded to a Sprague Street address to investigate a report that a grenade had been delivered there – only to learn the grenade was fake and that the address was actually in the neighboring town of Dedham.
Police spokeswoman Elaine Driscoll said Boston police received a 911 call from someone reporting that UPS had delivered a grenade inside a package dropped off at 65 Sprague St. in Hyde Park.
A Hyde Park woman cried tears of joy this week after finding her dog alive among the ashes of her burned-out and boarded-up house, where the dog had survived since a blaze totaled the residence on Feb. 23.
Terisa Acevedo initially thought that Lola, her year-old long-haired dachshund, escaped the blaze and was wandering through the neighborhood. In the days after the fire, the 24-year-old EMT and Northeastern University student posted fliers on telephone poles and walked the neighborhood hoping to find her dog. But as the days turned into weeks, Acevedo began to think that Lola perished in the fire.
But on Monday Acevedo returned to the house to shut off the alarm on a truck she was keeping parked there, and she heard a scratching noise at the boarded-up front door. She immediately knew it was Lola.FULL ENTRY
The director of the Mayor’s Office of Neighborhood Services said today the city has done all it can to help a Hyde Park couple who lost their home in a gas explosion in November.
Jay Walsh said he acted as a liaison between the homeowners and several city agencies and private companies, starting in the immediate aftermath of the accident and continuing right up to this week.
Walsh responded to a Globe story concerning the challenges that Michael Burns and Bob Houser faced in rebuilding their lives since a cracked seal on a natural gas line caused their home on Reynold Road in the Readville section to explode.
Walsh has helped them improve communication with the demolition company, cancel their cable television contract, and request a tax abatement on the property, among other tasks, and they’ve thanked him for the assistance, he said.
“All along, we’ve been available to help them with anything that they would need,” Walsh said.
He said the city had been unable to direct the recovery and demolition efforts because Burns and Houser had entered into an agreement with Action Emergency Services just after the blast.
Walsh also stressed that Boston Water and Sewer Commission, which hired the Dracut-based Defelice Corp. to replace the pipes under the streets, is a quasi-independent agency with its own board and management structure.
"The City of Boston itself is not concerned about any type of liability,'' he said. "We’re there to be a resource for Mr. Houser and Mr. Burns and to help them in any way humanly possible.”
Houser said he and Burns don’t hold the city responsible, and are awaiting the results of a state investigation to determine fault in the blast. They appreciate the ample help the city has given them, he said, but ultimately the victims in situations like this are left with the heaviest burden.
“The reality is that it’s in the property owners’ hands,” he said.
Suzanne Kreiter/Globe Staff
The Boston City Council elected Stephen J. Murphy its president this morning at its first meeting of the new year.
Murphy, an at-large councilor from Hyde Park, was elected on a 12-0 vote. He takes the mantle from Michael P. Ross, who had to step down after two years because of term limits. First elected in 1997, Murphy has been the long-time chairman of the Public Safety Committee.
Murphy, 53, is the longest-serving member of the City Council who has not held the presidency. The office is largely ceremonial and does not come with a pay raise or strict control over a legislative agenda. But it does include a bigger office, more staff, and one other important perk.
Murphy will be first in the line of succession should Mayor Thomas M. Menino, 68, leave office during Murphy's tenure as president.
Menino was released from the hospital on Sunday after undergoing surgery on his right knee. He is recuperating at home, according to his spokeswoman, Dot Joyce. It was the mayor's fourth hospital stay in the last 14 months. But Menino's staff has said repeatedly that the mayor plans to stay in office through the end of his term in January 2014 and has not decided whether he will run again.FULL ENTRY
Minutes after turning to the parents of Fausto Sanchez and telling them that he did not kill their son, Joseph Gomes was sentenced this morning to life in prison with no possibility of parole.
"I'm not the person who did this," Gomes told Sanchez's parents, despite being instructed by Suffolk Superior Court Judge Raymond Brassard to direct his remarks to the bench.
Gomes, 43, of Hyde Park and his nephew Emmanuel DaSilva, 26, of Roxbury were both charged with first-degree murder in the killing of Sanchez, 21.
They were initially co-defendants in one case, but after DaSilva's attorney became ill, a judge decided to split the cases and proceed with the Gomes case. DaSilva's trial is expected to begin in the coming weeks, according to prosecutors.FULL ENTRY
Boston police are warning residents to be wary of men posing as animal control officers, after a woman had a run-in with two apparent impostors.
The woman, who lives on Sherrin Street in Hyde Park, told police she was approached by two men who claimed to be officers, police said in a statement.
The men, who wore jeans and dark blue jackets with an unknown logo on the left breast area, asked about her pit bull, who was in the front yard and demanded to be let into the house to see her other dog, said the statement.FULL ENTRY
An ordinance proposed today by two members of the Boston City Council would license up to 25 food trucks with the hope of spurring a small fleet of high-end mobile restaurants.
The proposal, by Councilors Michael P. Ross and Salvatore LaMattina at today's weekly meeting, will require a public hearing and approval by the mayor and a majority of the council. The ordinance draws on lessons learned by other cities that have experienced a proliferation of gourmet food trucks.
It would require a fixed brick-and-mortar commissary for water, supplies, and cleaning; a ban on parking within 100 feet of an established restaurant selling similar food; and other crucial requirements of running a mobile kitchen, such as having a bathroom plan so employees can use the toilet.FULL ENTRY
Boston Mayor Thomas M. Menino, appearing in good spirits today after a five-night stay in the hospital, said he had felt frustrated to be hospitalized but emphasized he had remained in constant contact with his staff, including School Superintendent Carol Johnson who has announced controversial plans to close some city schools.
Menino, wearing khaki pants and gym shoes, said he felt fine as he kidded around with reporters gathered at his home in Boston's Readville neighborhood.
He said he would determine in the next few days when to return to his desk at City Hall. But he emphasized, "My house is just as good as City Hall."
Menino was admitted to Brigham and Women's Hospital on Wednesday because medication he took for an infection made him feel ill, said spokeswoman Dot Joyce.FULL ENTRY
Boston Mayor Thomas M. Menino remains hospitalized because medication he took for an infection made him feel ill, his spokeswoman said today.
"The issue he had associated with the medication is progressing well," said spokeswoman, Dot Joyce. "Hopefully sometime over the weekend, he'll be released."
Menino, 67, checked back into the Brigham and Women's Hospital on Wednesday. He spent three days there over the Thanksgiving holiday because he contracted a bacterial infection in his left elbow during a trip to Italy.
On the beat
Columnist Shirley Leung says Boston mayor-elect Martin J. Walsh should focus on middle-class housing. Read more