PEABODY – Moments after he allegedly drove his SUV into the two vehicles stopped in the breakdown lane on Route 1 - killing one man and injuring a 6-year old – William J. Halpin III was asked by State Police if he had any alcohol on him.
“No,’’ Halpin, 25, of Melrose, allegedly told troopers. “But I might have some weed on me.’’
According to State Police, Halpin was spotted tossing marijuana near the scene of the Friday night crash on Route 1 northbound in Lynnfield, a crash that killed Victor Vargas, 42, a taxi driver from Lynn and father of two, and also injured a 6-year-old boy who was sitting in the second car allegedly struck by Halpin.
Halpin appeared in Peabody District Court today where he pleaded not guilty to motor vehicle homicide while operating under the influence of drugs. Halpin has previously been convicted of drunken driving following a 2007 crash in Easton, according to Essex District Attorney Jonathan Blodgett’s office and Registry of Motor Vehicle records.
Halpin, who swayed from side to side while standing handcuffed in the prisoner’s dock in Peabody District Court today, was ordered held on $25,000 cash bail.
Halpin is the son of William J. Halpin Jr., chief executive of the South Boston Community Health Center. Through a family spokesman, who identified himself as Conor Yunits, the Halpin family released a statement at the courthouse today.FULL ENTRY
HOLBROOK -- As residents started digging out their driveways in this South Shore town, a teenager living in a two-decker on South Street said he felt lucky to have awakened unscathed this morning when a massive tree snapped under the weight of snow and crashed down on the roof over his bedroom.
"All of a sudden, I hear this loud boom and then I wake up to stuff falling all over me,'' said 19-year-old Nicholas Occhipinti, standing in his second-floor bedroom, where two large holes caused by the downed tree allowed snowflakes to drift to the floor.FULL ENTRY
Matt Byrne for The Boston Globe
MELROSE -- Federal investigators today seized nearly a half dozen boxes of potential evidence from a single-family home owned by a man with ties to Raytheon Co.'s missile program.
The home at 71 Lincoln St. is owned by Richard M. Lloyd and Lori B. Lloyd, according to city tax records. The family bought the home in 2000, according to the records.
"There is no immediate threat to the public,'' said Christina DiIorio Sterling, spokeswoman for US Attorney Carmen Ortiz. She declined to say who the target of the search was or discuss the reason behind it.
Late this afternoon, Raytheon spokesman Jon Kasle described Richard Lloyd as a former employee. He would not say when he left the company and declined to comment further.FULL ENTRY
Middlesex and Essex
Incumbent: Richard Tisei (R) (Running for Lt. Governor)
Democratic: Katherine M. Clark, Michael Seamus Day
Republican: Craig Spadafora
Incumbent: Katherine M. Clark (D) (Running for State Senate)
Democratic: Paul Brodeur
Republican: Monica C. Medeiros
On the beat
Columnist Shirley Leung says Boston mayor-elect Martin J. Walsh should focus on middle-class housing. Read more