MONROE, Conn. (AP) — A 72-year-old homeowner has died following a house fire that injured five others, including four firefighters.
The Connecticut Post reports (https://bitly.com/ ) that Frederick Rice died Sunday at Bridgeport Hospital.
Five others, a female occupant and four firefighters, were injured.
Fire Chief William Davin said the blaze began as a kitchen grease fire and spread rapidly. He said the firefighters who first entered the house retreated because of heavy smoke. A rescue also was impeded by a ceiling collapse.
Three injured firefighters had minor burns and the fourth was hurt trying to enter the house through a rear window when a deck collapsed under him.
Davin said none of the firefighters required hospitalization.
The unidentified woman was treated for non-life-threatening injuries.
Information from: Connecticut Post, http://www.connpost.com