SANFORD, Maine—Authorities say a 74-year-old man has died in a fire in Sanford, Maine.
Public Safety spokesman Stephen McCausland says Armand Talbot died Tuesday night after he entered his burning home and was likely overcome by smoke. The body was found by firefighters inside his Armand Lane home.
McCausland says Talbot discovered the fire after arriving home from a town meeting. He went to neighbors' home to have them call the fire department and then went into the burning house in an apparent effort to put the fire out.
Fire investigators said Wednesday that the source of the fire was a faulty fluorescent light fixture in the laundry room of the small home. The house, a former camp converted into a year-round residence, was gutted in the blaze.