AUGUSTA, Maine—Maine health officials say the percentage of rental units with carbon monoxide detectors has nearly doubled in a year's time.
The Maine Center for Disease Control and Prevention says the number jumped from 34 percent in 2009 to 58 percent in 2010. Officials say the increase is due largely to a 2009 state law requiring carbon monoxide detectors in all rental units, new single family homes and existing homes whenever a property transfer occurs.
A statewide survey also shows that the percentage of Maine households with carbon monoxide detectors has been steadily increasing, from 35 percent in 2004 to 54 percent in 2010.
More than two-thirds of cases of carbon monoxide poisonings occur between November and March in Maine, mostly due to malfunctioning heating systems or blocked flues and vents.