Maine officials issue carbon monoxide warning
AUGUSTA, Maine—Maine health officials say carbon monoxide poisonings present risks in and around people's summer camps.
The Maine Center for Disease Control and Prevention says that each year, state officials see a handful of poisonings, most of which could have been avoided.
Poisonings have resulted from blocked venting for propane refrigerators in summer camps. There are also risks from repairing small engines in enclosed or semi-enclosed spaces, and swimming behind a boat or hanging off the ski deck while the motor is running.
Camp owners are advised to check vents for propane-powered appliances and make sure appliances are working the right way. Officials also suggest CO detectors.
Those riding off-road, are being told to check to see if the exhaust is blocked if they get stuck in mud or water.