Fatal fire in Maine apartment started in kitchen
AUBURN, Maine—The Maine fire marshal's office says a stove burner that was left on was the cause of a fire that left a 51-year-old woman dead in Auburn.
Sgt. Timothy York said Monday that investigators believe the burner, with a pot on it, was left on by Nicole Lagasse, who went to bed and apparently fell asleep. Firefighters pulled her from the burning apartment early Sunday, but she was pronounced dead at Central Maine Medical Center.
The six-unit apartment building was evacuated but the fire was quickly brought under control before it could spread within the building or to adjacent buildings. Officials say the building had working smoke detectors, which helped alert other tenants.
Information from: Sun-Journal, http://www.sunjournal.com