LAWRENCE, Mass. (AP) — Authorities say an explosion at a Lawrence home that sent a man and his teenage son to the hospital with serious injuries was caused when flammable solvent being used to remove carpet glue from a tile floor ignited.
Fifty-nine-year-old Luis Lopez and 13-year-old Frank Anthony Lopez were working together in the basement of the home at about 2:20 p.m. Saturday when the explosion occurred. They did not live at the home.
Father and son were flown to Boston hospitals. Frank Lopez is being treated at Shriner’s Hospital, a pediatric burn center, while his dad is being cared for at Massachusetts General Hospital. Their conditions were not available Sunday night.
Fire Chief Jack Bergeron tells The Eagle-Tribune (http://bit.ly/Tbj3AB ) there are numerous ignition sources in the basement.
Information from: Eagle Tribune (North Andover, Mass.), http://www.eagletribune.com