FAIRHAVEN, Mass. (AP) — A fire in a Fairhaven apartment that took the life of an 84-year-old woman remains under investigation, but the state Fire Marshal’s Office says it appears to be accidental.
Officials say Barbara Wilbur collapsed just feet from her front door while trying to flee the blaze Thursday morning and died at a hospital of apparent smoke inhalation.
Fairhaven Fire Department spokesman Wayne Oliveira says a kitchen stove is believed to have sparked the blaze.
He tells The Standard-Times (http://bit.ly/VX4z9t ) it was unclear whether Wilbur was cooking or that the stove had been left on.
The fire was confined to the kitchen but the heat from it melted plastic appliances, creating a thick, black smoke that filled the entire four-room apartment.
He estimated damage to the apartment at $40,000.
Information from: The (New Bedford, Mass.) Standard-Times, http://www.southcoasttoday.com