1713 Weston, which was previously part of Watertown, is incorporated as a separate town.
1757 Josiah Smith builds his tavern, which continues in operation until 1838.
1765-68 Abraham Hews establishes Hews Pottery on Boston Post Road.
1772 Regular passenger stagecoach travel begins between New York and Boston, bringing many travelers through Weston. The uncomfortable journey took up to a week.
1774 Weston residents join in protests against British rule. Some ransack the Golden Ball Tavern after proprietor Isaac Jones is suspected of Tory sympathies, partly because he continues to serve tea.
1845 First train station opens in Weston, on the Fitchburg line. During this pre-Civil War period, Weston remains an agricultural community with some small water-powered industries.
1889 Hook & Hastings Co., which built some of the country’s greatest church and concert hall organs, moves from Roxbury to Weston. The company is by far the largest of the town’s 19th-century mills and factories and is the town’s largest employer from 1889
until its closing in 1935.
1890-1930 Peak of the Estate Era in Weston. More than a dozen estate mansions are constructed, and their owners have a major impact on town government, schools, and private beautification efforts.
1912 The Town Green is created out of swamp land, a new “Townhouse Road” encloses the Green, and new town buildings are constructed.
1951 Route 128 opens in the Waltham-Weston area, with about 41 acres in Weston taken for the project.
1957 The Massachusetts Turnpike opens from the New York State line to the Weston tolls. The extension into Boston is completed in 1965.
SOURCES: Weston Historical Society (Taken from “Farm Town to Suburb: the History and Architecture of Weston, Massachusetts, 1830-1980” by Pamela W. Fox, 2002).