BOSTON (AP) — Suffolk District Attorney Daniel Conley planned to announce his candidacy for mayor of Boston.
An individual with direct knowledge of Conley’s decision told The Associated Press on Tuesday that Conley plans to formally make the announcement Wednesday and will issue a press release confirming his decision.
The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the person was not authorized to speak publicly.
Conley’s decision comes a week after longtime Boston Mayor Thomas Menino announced he would not seek an unprecedented sixth term in office.
Menino’s decision was expected to trigger a political stampede of would-be successors.
City Councilor John Connolly had formally declared his candidacy before Menino made the surprise announcement last week. Other potential candidates said to be eyeing the seat include state Rep. Martin Walsh and City Councilor Felix Arroyo.
As district attorney, Conley is the chief law enforcement officer for the cities of Boston, Chelsea, Revere and Winthrop. He was appointed to the office in February of 2002 and was elected in his own right later that year and again in 2006.
According to his official website, Conley’s office is responsible for the prosecution of 40,000 to 50,000 criminal cases every year in what is Massachusetts’ most densely-populated county.
Before becoming district attorney, Conley served eight years on the Boston City Council and nine years as an assistant district attorney and was named to Massachusetts’ first anti-gang violence task force.
Menino promised not to take sides in the race to succeed him, but was ready with some advice last week.
‘‘I just think if you’re going to be the mayor of Boston you have to be mayor of the neighborhoods, understand the neighborhoods, understand what’s going on out there,’’ Menino told reporters after announcing his decision not to run again.
The city, known for its bare-knuckled politics, has had only three mayors in the last 45 years. The election to succeed Menino will be the first in three decades without an incumbent on the ballot.
The 70-year-old Menino has had persistent health problems including a six-week hospital stay last year to treat a respiratory infection and a compression fracture in his spine. Menino also was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes.