East Falmouth man wins $10 million in poker tournament hosted by State Lottery
Eugene Condon Jr. took the advice of Kenny Rogers to heart, at least in spirit.
You might say the 51-year-old East Falmouth man knew when to hold ’em, and knew when to fold ’em during a State Lottery sponsored poker tournament at the TD Garden Saturday night, and walked away with a $10 million jackpot when he won the agency’s first-ever simulated Hold ’Em Poker Tournament.
Or, you might say he got very lucky.
On its official Twitter feed, the Lottery posted a picture of Condon holding up the $10 million check and smiling broadly on the confetti-filled floor.
A call to a number listed for Condon was not immediately returned Sunday morning. A Lottery spokeswoman also could not be reached.
In announcing the tournament in February, officials said it had not been tried by any other state, and that it was the grand finale of one of the Lottery’s instant ticket games.
Officials said in February that there would be no skill involved, and that two cards would be preassigned to each player. Three more cards, which all the players shared, were drawn in each of three rounds, and whoever had the best hand in each round advanced.
A spokeswoman said at the time that the Lottery had designed the drawing so there would be a set number of winners.
Five-hundred sixty players, who had already each won a $2,000 prize, participated in the tournament.
Officials said the 64 players who advanced in the first round would win $10,000, and the 12 who advanced in the second round would take home $50,000. In the final round, three people would win $1 million and one would claim the $10 million grand prize, the Lottery said at the time.
The Lottery will post a list on its website Monday morning of all players who raked in $10,000 or more, the agency tweeted.Martin Finucane of the Globe Staff contributed to this report. Travis Andersen can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @TAGlobe.