Police allowed James Brennan, an employee of Sugar Heaven, a candy store at 669 Boylston St., inside the barricaded zone to retrieve the store’s security footage.
Boston police “called my boss, and he called me to see if I could come in real quick and do it for him,” said Brennan.
Also, for the first time since Monday’s explosions, Boston police allowed residents to enter the crime scene, one by one, going into a nine-story complex at 28 Exeter St. The Copley MBTA station remained closed and is expected to be off-limits again on Thursday.
Security fears led to the partial evacuation of Brigham and Women’s Hospital at about 3 p.m. Wednesday, after a driver pulled up to the valet entrance at 45 Francis St. and left the car unattended and apparently locked.
Valets noticed gas cans inside, and hospital security ordered an evacuation “because it’s post-Marathon,” hospital spokeswoman Erin McDonough said. Within a few minutes, people were allowed back inside.
Patrick said he is trying to find the right words to lead the state in a time of anxiety and uncertainty.
“It’s hard to say anything that is exactly right, but I feel the frustration and the anger that a lot of people are feeling,” Patrick said. “I feel the notion that someone would take a civic ritual like this and would turn it into something dangerous is infuriating to me.
“But I am also confident we will come through this stronger, and the reason I’m confident is there are so many of these stories I hear of grace and kindness people have shown.”
The governor declined to speak in detail about the investigation, but confirmed that police are making progress.
“Every time they find and document and record or send off a piece of evidence, it’s progress, because the way this story will get pieced together is in pieces,” he said.
The pieces of evidence recovered so far include bomb fragments, from which experts have determined that at least one bomb was fashioned from a pressure cooker stuffed with explosives laced with nails and ball-bearings.
The maker of the pressure cooker, Fagor America Inc., issued a statement saying the company has been contacted by investigators and is cooperating.
“All personnel in Fagor America Inc. are deeply saddened by this week’s tragic events in Boston and share in the suffering of the victims and their families,” the company said.
“Our pressure cookers . . . are not intended to be used for any other purpose other than cooking.”
Milton J. Valencia, Michael Levenson, Chelsea Conaboy, Kevin Cullen, Brian Ballou, Martine Powers, Andrew Ryan, and Travis Andersen of the Globe staff and Globe correspondent Todd Feathers contributed to this report. Mark Arsenault can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @bostonglobemark.