Everett voters to weigh pros, cons of casino

By Kathy McCabe / Globe Staff /  May 1, 2013
This is a summary. To read the whole story subscribe to BostonGlobe.com

Everett voters will decide on June 22 if they want a casino called Wynn Everett to rise on a vacant factory site on the Mystic River.

The city and casino developer Steve Wynn have completed negotiations on a community host agreement, which includes millions of dollars in new revenues, and thousands of jobs with hiring preference for Everett residents. The 18-page agreement was released by Mayor Carlo DeMaria Jr., on April 25.

Some voters already seem to know how they’ll cast their ballots for or against a casino.

“I feel that Everett needs jobs,” said Michele Finneran-Korn, who spoke at a community meeting last week. “This is a much-needed opportunity for the city.”

“I’m against this,” said Stephen Simonelli, who addressed his remarks to DeMaria. “I think this guy [Wynn] is going to take over the city. Carlo, you may lose your job, because he’s going to be the mayor.” Full story for BostonGlobe.com subscribers.

E-mail Kathy McCabe at kmccabe@globe.com. Follow her on Twitter @GlobeKMcCabe.end of story marker

Get the full story with unlimited access to BostonGlobe.com. Just 99¢ for 4 weeks.
Get Access Now

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

Your article has been sent.