A short circuit in one of the bedrooms of a three-decker house in Dorchester caused a blaze this morning that left at least five adults and a child displaced and wreaked roughly $100,000 worth of damage, the Boston Fire Department said.
Boston EMS transported a woman to the hospital for smoke inhalation. The American Red Cross is assisting the displaced tenants.
Firefighters responded to 93 Homes Ave. in Dorchester at about 11:23 a.m., where they witnessed fire in the rear of the building on the top floor. The one-alarm fire began in a third-floor bedroom and spread to the rear porch on that floor. The flames then spread to the roof, said Steve MacDonald, a spokesman for the Boston Fire Department.
“It took about 15 minutes to get the heavy fire gone,” MacDonald said. “We spent another 30 minutes checking for hot spots.”
The third floor received the brunt of the fire damage; the first two floors experienced extensive water damage, MacDonald said.
“There is a hole in the roof and a lot of water damage, so it will be a while until all the people are back in there,” MacDonald said.