The Hull Public Library opened at its current site in 1913 with 5,072 books.
The library now has an estimated 24,579 print materials and 8,281 nonprint items.
The building was originally the summer home of Irish poet, journalist, and rebel John Boyle O’Reilly, who died there in 1890 of an apparent sleeping-medicine overdose.
The body of a British soldier who died in 1775 after a skirmish at Boston Light is buried somewhere on the property.
The “Camperdown Elm” in the front yard probably was planted in the late 1800s, and is a descendant of trees grown on the estate of the Earl of Camperdown in Scotland. Full story for BostonGlobe.com subscribers.