An independent review has criticized the fateful decision by Middlesex County prosecutors in mid-August not to seek to hold Jared Remy on bail after his arraignment on a domestic violence charge.
Remy allegedly went back to the Waltham home he shared with his girlfriend, Jennifer Martel, and murdered her the next day.
Middlesex District Attorney Marian Ryan said today in a statement that she had “already implemented changes to address the deficiencies” found in the review of her office’s actions in the case.
Prosecutors should have done more to pursue information about Remy and should have assessed the information more thoroughly before his arraignment, she said in a statement.
Remy, son of well-known Red Sox broadcaster Jerry Remy, allegedly assaulted Martel on Aug. 13. On Aug. 14, he was arraigned on that charge, but then released. On Aug. 15, he allegedly slashed Martel to death inside their Waltham home.
Her family and domestic violence activists questioned why Remy had been released after the first charge. And Ryan asked for an independent review of how her office handled the first arrest.
In an executive summary released today, the authors concluded that Ryan’s prosecutors gave too much weight to Martel’s reported refusal to press charges, and did not look deep enough into Remy’s criminal background or living circumstances before making their decision.
“Specifically, we found that Remy’s domestic violence criminal history, the facts in the August 13, 2013 police report, and the fact that there was a young child in the home were not given sufficient weight, while the victim’s decision not to come to court to extend the emergency restraining order or to request conditions of release was given excessive consideration in the evaluation,’’ the review found.
“The absence of any further discussion, review, or supervision foreclosed an analysis that would have gauged the risk factors presented in the records at-hand, i.e., Remy’s criminal history record and the August 13, 2013 police reports,” the review found.
The review was conducted by former Essex district attorney Kevin Burke and Norfolk First Assistant District Attorney Jeanmarie Carroll.
Ryan said that she appreciated their “thorough assessment” and their efforts to “identify areas we can improve going forward.”