Christmas Eve and Christmas Day may offer plenty of holiday cheer, but they are also the busiest days for home fires, and the Department of Fire Services is offering safety tips.
“Make sure you have working smoke and carbon monoxide alarms,” State Fire Marshal Stephen Coan said in a statement. “Fires are always terrible but they seem worse during the festive holiday season.”
Cooking is the leading cause of holiday fires, according to the fire marshal’s office. To avoid a cooking fire, officials urge residents to stay by their food and use a timer when necessary. If a fire does ignite, put a lid on the flaming pan to extinguish it.
Heating sources are the second leading cause of holiday season fires. Officials said home furnaces and chimneys should be checked and swept by professionals on a regular basis. If heating with wood, residents should dispose of ash outside the home.
The increased use of candles around the holidays also pose a fire risk. Officials said candles should be burned inside a one-foot circle of safety.
For more information on fire safety, call your local fire department or the fire marshal’s office at 1-877-9 NO FIRE.