Fifteen people, including a number of children, have been displaced from their homes this morning after an early morning fire in Malden damaged a number of rooms in a three-story residence, officials said.
Firefighters responded to 7 Coburn St. at about 6:30 a.m. for reports of smoke in the building. An electrical malfunction in the walls caused the fire, which worked its way from the second to third floor, said Malden Deputy Fire Chief Philip Cargill.
“Firefighters had to rip about three or four rooms apart to get at the fire in the walls,” he said.
Firefighters had smothered the blaze by around 9 a.m., Cargill said.
Three families were living in the three-story building, all 0f whom were displaced, said American Red Cross spokeswoman Kat Powers.
There were no injuries to residents or firefighters, officials said.
The house will be uninhabitable for a number of weeks, Cargill said. Three rooms received heavy damage and part of the roof had to be removed to battle the fire.
“The American Red Cross is proving a hotel stay for the for displaced families, as well as recovery funds for food.” Powers said. “We are handing out blankets on scene as well, because it is wicked cold out.”
Some items, such as clothes and blankets, were recovered from the house, Powers said. Red Cross officials offered the residents heavy detergent that scrubs away the smell of smoke.
A Christmas tree in one of the homes was not damaged during the blaze.
“There were Christmas presents under the tree, and the presents weren’t destroyed,” Cargill said.