Samantha D’Elia had just changed her 9-week-old son Brandon into his “My First Christmas” shirt on Christmas Day when she noticed he was acting unusual.
D’Elia, 21, had recently fed her baby. She picked him up, she said, and he began to choke on his own vomit.
Brandon turned blue and stopped breathing. D’Elia had guests at her Marstons Mills home at the time and her friend Melanie Campbell called 911. Barnstable Police Officer Dennis Stampfl got on the line and instructed the family on how to save Brandon’s life.
D’Elia had already been giving Brandon CPR. Campbell relayed directions from Stampfl in a calm, collected manner, D’Elia said. They rested Brandon on his father’s forearm, titled his head down, and began to give him sets of blows to the back.
After the second round, Brandon began to cry, finally breathing again.
“I can’t explain how much they helped me,” D’Elia said in a telephone interview.
Shortly after the ordeal, Brandon was taken to the hospital, where it was discovered he has acid reflux disease, D’Elia said. She and his father, Jonathan Brooks, will now have to feed Brandon differently and keep his head propped up after he eats. But they are relieved that he is doing okay.
D’Elia said she was thankful for everyone who helped out during the emergency.
“Everybody gets credit for him being okay,” D’Elia said.