This is a summary. To read the whole story subscribe to BostonGlobe.com
Residents evacuated on Jan. 3 for high carbon monoxide readings were allowed to return to their Melrose apartment building on Tuesday after seeking relief in Malden District Court.
Judge Paul Yee made the decision after a lawyer for the property owner confirmed that heat and running water was working at the 36-unit Melrose Manor at 119 West Wyoming Ave.
“My concern is for safety,” Yee said, during a hearing at Malden District Court, adding he would have entered an order for the landlord to pay for tenant accommodations until the building was deemed safe for occupancy.
Melrose city inspectors approved the building for occupancy on Tuesday.
On Jan. 3, amid a heavy snowstorm, residents awoke with no heat in the 86-year-old building. Later that night, a high carbon monoxide reading was detected in the building, forcing an evacuation, according to a posting on the Melrose Fire Department Facebook page.