A Medford man is being held on high bail after he allegedly attacked a 14-year-old girl as she walked home from school in Arlington earlier this week, Middlesex County prosecutors said.
Patrick Barry, 21, pleaded not guilty today in Cambridge District Court, where he was charged with one count of indecent assault and battery on a person 14 or older. He is being held on $1 million cash bail, said Middlesex district attorney’s spokeswoman MaryBeth Long.
Barry allegedly approached the 14-year-old in the area of Summer and Mill streets at about 3:30 p.m. Tuesday and inappropriately touched her, said police.
The girl pushed Barry away, ran home, and called the police. She was not physically injured, said police.
The girl told police her attacker was a white man in his early 20s, with gelled hair and mirrored glasses. This description was a match for Barry, who was on probation and monitored by GPS, police said. Officers used Barry’s GPS log to place him at the location of the assault at the reported time, police said.
He was arrested in his home Wednesday, police said.
“A dangerous offender is off the streets today, and I am pleased with the quick and diligent work of Arlington police officers, and with the help we received from our law enforcement partners around the region,” said Arlington Police Chief Frederick Ryan in a statement.
At his arraignment this morning, Barry was ordered to stay away from the victim and her family His bail was revoked in open cases out of Suffolk County, said Long.
Barry was indicted on two counts of assault with intent to rape in July after he allegedly attacked two women near Northeastern University, according Suffolk District Attorney spokesman Jake Wark.
He is slated to return to court March 13 for a pretrial conference, according to Long.