Boston firefighters quickly doused a fire at a building in the city’s Charlestown section this afternoon.
Firefighters responded at 12:48 p.m. to the 4-story condominium building at 83 Cambridge St. on the Somerville line. They found flames in the rear of the third floor, fire officials said.
Boston Fire Department spokesman Steve MacDonald said the fire was caused by a ceiling fan that short-circuited on the second floor of the building.
The one-alarm fire was knocked down at 1:30 p.m. No injuries were reported, said MacDonald.
MacDonald said he was not sure how many people were displaced by the fire, because no one was home at the time. He estimated the building sustained about $150,000 worth of damage.
Tricia Rosen, an employee at Harcourt Bindery, which is across the street, said there was “lots of thick gray smoke coming out of the right side of the building.”
“I saw someone, I guess a good Samaritan, banging on all the doors and ringing the bells, but no one came out,” she said.