A child who died after falling from a roof of a building in Dorchester on Wednesday apparently wandered away from a day care on the building’s first floor.
The two-year-old boy, who has been identified by family members as Daylan Walker, apparently climbed four stories and opened a door to the roof at 131 Columbia Rd. before tumbling to the pavement below. First responders found him there and transferred him to Boston Medical Center where he was pronounced dead.
“Unfortunately, it sounds like the child was at some point left unattended,” City Councilor Tito Jackson told The Boston Globe. “Sadly, part of our future is gone today. That is something that weighs heavily on the hearts and minds of everybody here.”
The Globe report said the door to the building’s roof was cited with a violation on Wednesday after the incident. The violation said the door’s “panic hardware” would not activate unless the door was “manually slammed.”
The report also said state records showed a licensed day-care center at 129 Columbia Rd. that belonged to a woman named Marisol Rondon-Ramos.
WCVB reported that Walker’s mother and grandmother had noticed a change in the child’s behavior when being dropped off at the day care over the last week.
"I took the boy to day care. He was very happy when I took him," Lucrecia Rivera, Daylan's grandmother, said. "I rang the doorbell to the day care and her son opened the door and took the child. I was in the living room, and she came out of the kitchen to take him and the boy had a terrible reaction like he was scared."
Speaking in Spanish, Rivera said when she left she called her daughter, Daylan's mother, and said she didn't like his reaction.
"She told me, 'I told you so. Since last week, every time I drop him off he starts crying.'"
The WCVB report also said Walker’s family is demanding answers and saying it is unlikely the boy could have made it all the way to the roof on his own.
CBS Boston reported that the day care has been closed while police and the Department of Children and Families investigate.