Leland and Landon Young.
Leland and Landon Young.
GoFundMe

The father of two boys who were scalded by hot water is suing the Affordable Housing Associates of Lynn for negligence. In the suit, Joseph Young claims the water heaters in his apartment building were set 19 degrees above the maximum temperature allowed by law.

The Salem News reports:

The suit refers to a report in the Lynn Item, quoting a Lynn plumbing inspector, who told the newspaper that the temperature was 19 degrees above the maximum 112 degrees for a shower.

The suit also notes that after the incident, a manager for the building was quoted as saying all of the water heaters in the 263-265 Essex St. complex had been turned down to 112 degrees.

The suit seeks at least $500,000 in damages.

Young’s sons, Leland, 3, and Landon, 2, were taking a bath together when they were scalded. Their babysitter, Charles Robinson Collins, 21, admitted to walking out of the room while the boys were in the tub. He’s been charged with child endangerment.

Advertisement - Continue Reading Below

Landon has been discharged from Shriners Hospital for Children and is currently living with his grandmother while his father continues to stay with Leland at the hospital, according to an update on the “Young Boys’ Recovery” Facebook page.

Family friends also started a GoFundMe page, asking for donations to help defray the family’s medical costs.