A fire at a metal finishing company on Ballard Road in Lawrence burned through the night Sunday causing a hazmat situation.
NECN reports that at least eight residents had been evacuated from their homes nearby. Four firefighters were hospitalized and treated for minor injuries.
Lawrence Fire received a call at 1:30a.m. and were met with yellow smoke. The fire, which occurred at the building housing N-Tek Inc., was upgraded to a “Tier 2” situation, meaning additional manpower was required to contain the flames. According to NECN, nitric acid was leaking in the building and a vapor cloud formed above the building.