Faulty Cape Cod Tanning Bed Sends Three Women to ER

FILE - This Dec. 9, 2011 file photo shows an open tanning bed at Amazing Tans in Sacramento, Calif. Tanning beds and sun lamps will carry new warnings that they should not be used by anyone under age 18, under a government action Thursday, May 29, 2014 aimed at reducing rising rates of skin cancer linked to the radiation-emitting devices. (AP Photo/Rich Pedroncelli, File)
A short lie in a tanning salon went bad last week in Cape Cod.

An exposed bulb in a tanning bed gave severe burns to three women at a Cape Cod tanning salon last week, NECN reports.

The women all spent a few minutes in bed No. 10 at Sun Center 2000 salon in Hyannis, and they soon found the right side of their skin blistering and burning in serious pain. Each checked into the ER to get treated for second degree burns.

“I walked in and they told me that No. 10, the bed that I always go into, had an exposed bulb, but to not be alarmed, it was just brighter than the other ones,” one woman told NECN.

Advertisement - Continue Reading Below

A health inspector shut down that specific bed on Tuesday night, NECN reports.

When reached by Boston.com, a woman who answered the phone at Sun Center 2000 this morning confirmed the salon was open today. The owners could not be reached for comment.