THIS STORY HAS BEEN FORMATTED FOR EASY PRINTING

Charges against 2 dropped in Uzi death case

January 18, 2011

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

Your article has been sent.

Text size +

SPRINGFIELD, Mass.—A Massachusetts prosecutor has dropped involuntary manslaughter charges against two men in connection with the death of an 8-year-old boy who shot himself with an Uzi, after a third defendant was acquitted last week.

Prosecutor William Bennett says in documents filed Tuesday in Hampden Superior Court he doesn't believe prosecuting Domenico Spano of New Milford, Conn., and Carl Giuffre of West Hartford, Conn., is "in the interests of justice."

Christopher Bizilj (buh-SEEL') of Ashford, Conn., died in October 2008 after an Uzi submachine gun he was firing kicked back and shot him in the head at a gun fair in Westfield. Authorities said Spano and Giuffre brought machine guns to the event.

A jury on Friday acquitted former Pelham, Mass., Police Chief Edward Fleury of involuntary manslaughter and other charges. Fleury organized the gun fair.