Winthrop man accused in the slaying of his boyfriend
A man accused of killing his boyfriend and leaving the body under the stairs of his Winthrop home sent a text message saying the victim “won’t be able to leech off me anymore’’ six days before the body was discovered, prosecutors said yesterday.
John Lacoy was arraigned in East Boston Municipal Court, where he pleaded not guilty to a charge of first-degree murder, and was ordered held without bail by Judge Roberto Ronquillo Jr., said Suffolk District Attorney Daniel F. Conley’s office.
In court, Assistant Suffolk District Attorney Ursula Knight said Lacoy and the victim, who has tentatively been identified as a 36-year-old man, were in a romantic relationship.
Authorities are waiting to confirm his identity through dental records.
According to prosecutors, the victim was last in contact with relatives July 25 and made plans to meet them about a week later.
On July 31, Lacoy allegedly telephoned a friend and said that the victim drowned at the beach. And on Aug. 3, Lacoy allegedly sent a text message telling the recipient that the victim’s body had been found underneath Lacoy’s home at 429 Winthrop St. in Winthrop.
However, the victim’s body was not found until Tuesday.