GROTON, Mass.—Investigators say a multi-alarm fire that destroyed a Colonial-era inn in Groton this summer was likely caused by an electrical malfunction in the attic.
State Fire Marshal Stephen Coan announced Thursday that the Aug. 2 fire likely originated in the attic at the rear of the Old Groton Inn and was not a case of arson. But he added that the building was so badly damaged that the reason may never be known for certain.
Lightning was also ruled out as the cause.
No one was hurt in the blaze at the 333-year-old inn that didn't have rooms for guests, just a restaurant. About 100 firefighters from more than a dozen departments helped battle the blaze.
The building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1976.