Occupy Boston drops suit against city
BOSTON—Residents of the Occupy Boston encampment have dropped a lawsuit against the city of Boston, saying slow-moving litigation wasn't the best way to meet their goals.
The residents of the tent city at Dewey Square lived in the public park for 10 weeks in a protest against what they said was the disproportionate political and economic power given to an elite few.
Earlier this month, Occupy Boston sued the city to stop it from dismantling the camp. But a judge ruled Dec. 7 they didn't have a constitutional right to live there, and Mayor Thomas Menino removed them a few days later, citing public safety concerns.
Occupy Boston had appealed the judge's ruling. But on Wednesday the group said it decided lengthy litigation wasn't the best way to work for a more just society.