THIS STORY HAS BEEN FORMATTED FOR EASY PRINTING

Killer is shown the door in N.H.

Relocated after complaints from state officials

Associated Press / September 16, 2008
  • Email|
  • Print|
  • Single Page|
  • |
Text size +

MANCHESTER, N.H. - The governor, attorney general, and mayor have gotten what they wanted: Federal officials have sent convicted child killer Raymond J. Guay elsewhere.

Guay, 60, was convicted of killing a 12-year-old boy in Nashua 35 years ago. He told reporters who tracked him down at a Manchester rooming house last week that he has found religion and is serious about making a new start in life.

But in a joint statement yesterday, Governor John Lynch and Attorney General Kelly Ayotte said federal probation officials informed them that Guay has been moved to a halfway house in another state that they did not identify.

"Considering the nature of Raymond Guay's crimes and the length of time he has spent in prison, it is critical that he be placed in a structured release program and closely monitored," Ayotte said.

Guay came to New Hampshire a week earlier from West Virginia after serving an 18- to 25-year sentence in federal prison for the 1973 slaying of John Lindovski in Nashua, plus additional time for assaulting another inmate.

Several days before his release, a federal panel had ruled that he could not be kept behind bars as a violent sexual predator, and that he had to be allowed to return to New Hampshire.

Thomas Tarr, the chief US probation officer for New Hampshire, said then that Guay had planned to move to Los Angeles, but California officials couldn't find a suitable halfway house for him. Tarr said a religious organization in Manchester helped find him a home and job.

Lynch denounced the move as "last-minute and misguided."

"Mr. Guay killed a 12-year-old boy in Nashua, committed additional assaults in prison against a fellow inmate, and has been evaluated by the federal government as a sexually violent predator," Lynch wrote last week. "He has no substantial connections to Manchester and is an unacceptable public safety risk to the citizens of this state."

Yesterday, Lynch thanked Tarr for sending Guay elsewhere.

New Hampshire legal observers said Guay probably would have received a longer sentence if he had been convicted of the 1973 killing under current laws.

Lindovski, a sixth-grader, was walking home from an afternoon square dance when Guay, then 25, picked him up and drove him to the Lone Pine Hunters Club property in Hollis. The boy escaped from the car and ran into the woods; Guay caught him, struck him, and shot him through an eye.

Although New Hampshire has a civil commitment law targeting sexual predators, Guay is not a candidate for commitment in Manchester because he never sexually assaulted Lindovski. Officials believe that was his intent, but the issue never came up because he pleaded guilty to second-degree murder.

At the time, the state had no sentence of life in prison without parole.

  • Email
  • Email
  • Print
  • Print
  • Single page
  • Single page
  • Reprints
  • Reprints
  • Share
  • Share
  • Comment
  • Comment
 
  • Share on DiggShare on Digg
  • Tag with Del.icio.us Save this article
  • powered by Del.icio.us
Your Name Your e-mail address (for return address purposes) E-mail address of recipients (separate multiple addresses with commas) Name and both e-mail fields are required.
Message (optional)
Disclaimer: Boston.com does not share this information or keep it permanently, as it is for the sole purpose of sending this one time e-mail.