THIS STORY HAS BEEN FORMATTED FOR EASY PRINTING

Kuster begins building 2012 campaign in NH

March 29, 2011

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

Your article has been sent.

Text size +

CONCORD, N.H.—Less than five months after she was defeated by Republican Charlie Bass in New Hampshire's 2nd Congressional District, Democrat Ann McLane Kuster said Tuesday she is taking the first steps to run again.

In an e-mail to supporters, Kuster said she will make a more formal announcement next year but already is building her campaign. She said she won't sit on the sidelines while Congress cuts what the nation needs most: education, public safety and clean energy research that will reduce the dependence on foreign oil.

"I watched my parents both work hard to build a stronger community for my generation," she wrote. "Every day here in Concord, N.H., I run into a person, a nonprofit or a local business that they touched. I also know that my generation has this same obligation to our own children -- to pass on stronger communities and a stronger country.

"But instead of acting as a partner to our communities, families, workers and small businesses, the U.S. House of Representatives is acting like an anchor, holding our country back," Kuster wrote. "They are cutting student loans, increasing class sizes in our schools, threatening Social Security, and risking public safety with less police on the streets."

Kuster, a lawyer from Hopkinton, lost to Bass by fewer than 4,000 votes in November. With the win, Bass regained the seat he held for 12 years before getting ousted along with other Republicans in 2006.

Earlier this year, Kuster said she was starting a nonprofit consulting practice dedicated to helping local New Hampshire nonprofit groups grow stronger. She has represented nonprofit groups and has served on the boards of the New Hampshire Charitable Foundation, the Women's Fund of New Hampshire, and others.