THIS STORY HAS BEEN FORMATTED FOR EASY PRINTING

Shea-Porter plans another US House run

By Holly Ramer
Associated Press / April 15, 2011

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

Your article has been sent.

Text size +

CONCORD, N.H. — Democrat Carol Shea-Porter said yesterday that she is running again for the First Congressional District seat she lost to Republican Frank Guinta in November.

“I am running again because I believe we must keep America the land of opportunity and fairness for your children and mine,’’ Shea-Porter told supporters in an e-mail.

Shea-Porter, of Rochester, held the seat for two terms before losing to Guinta, 53 to 42 percent. In 2006, voter dissatisfaction with President George W. Bush and antiwar sentiment helped Shea-Porter pull off an upset win over Representative Jeb Bradley, a Republican, and she defeated him again two years later. But last year Shea-Porter found herself swept out by the nation’s anti-incumbent mood.

Though Guinta, the former mayor of Manchester, was dogged throughout the campaign by questions about his personal finances, he kept the focus on the issues, contrasting his record of enacting Manchester’s first tax cut in a decade with what he called Shea-Porter’s failure to protect small businesses.

In her message, Shea-Porter said she wants to continue working for what she calls the “bottom 99 percent of Americans.’’