The top 10 Vermont news stories of the year, as voted on by journalists at Associated Press member newspapers and broadcasters. Some results were ties.
1. Tropical Storm Irene recovery
2. Vermont Yankee nuclear plant operations
3. Killing of Essex couple Bill and Lorraine Currier
4. Merger of Green Mountain Power Corp. and Central Vermont Public Service Corp.
5. Ski resort development proposals
5. Killing of St. Johnsbury Academy teacher Melissa Jenkins
7. November election results
8. Mental health services reorganization
9. Alleged time-sheet padding by State Police sergeant
9. Agriculture industry problems