NEW YORK — Three men facing federal terrorism charges in New York City have strong ties to the extremist Islamic group that claimed responsibility for the deadly attack on an upscale Kenyan shopping mall, US authorities said.
Two of the men made brief appearances Monday in federal court in Brooklyn, where prosecutors and defense lawyers told a judge they were in plea negotiations. The third is due in court next week.
Prosecutors in the once-secret case have described the defendants — Ali Yasin Ahmed, Madhi Hashi, and Mohamed Yusuf — as ‘‘dangerous and influential’’ members of al-Shabab who were part of an elite unit of suicide bombers. Their lawyers deny the allegations. US authorities say the men were captured in Africa last year while traveling to Yemen. Full story for BostonGlobe.com subscribers.