ISTANBUL, Turkey -- A court yesterday charged a Turkish man who reportedly confessed to recruiting suicide bombers and preparing the truck bombs that killed 62 people in Istanbul last month.
The capture of the man, identified in the indictment as Fevzi Yitiz, was the most important so far in the investigation, authorities said.
Police detained Yitiz on Wednesday in southeastern Turkey, near the Iran and Iraq borders. He had a forged passport and was trying to flee, police said in a statement.
Authorities said Yitiz rented a workshop in an industrial section of Istanbul where the bombs were prepared. He is suspected of helping to rig the trucks used in the Nov. 15 attack on two synagogues and the bombings of the British Consulate and a London-based bank five days later.
On Sunday, Selahattin Yildirim, 31, died of injuries sustained in the bombing at the HSBC bank, the Anatolia news agency reported. His death raised the death toll in the attacks to 62, including the four bombers.
Yitiz confessed that he helped recruit suicide bombers and prepare the bombs, police said without providing other details. The details of the indictment were not released. The Anatolia news agency reported that the court charged him with involvement in the bombings.
Early yesterday, Yitiz was taken to an industrial park in Istanbul to show police how the bombs were made and loaded on the vehicles.
Yitiz appeared to be about 30 years old, had a short beard and dark hair, and wore a brown jacket and gray pants. He was brought to the site in an armored vehicle escorted by a convoy of police cars.
Police said the workshop had been rented as a factory to make detergent.