boston.com your connection to The Boston Globe

Another mudslide victim found as new storm menaces Calif.

Death of infant brings toll to 15

SAN BERNARDINO, Calif. -- Searchers found the body of a baby yesterday in a mountain canyon, raising the confirmed death toll from last week's flash floods to 15, even as a powerful new Pacific storm threatened more floods and mudslides.

The body of 8-month-old Jeremias Monzon was found in the San Bernardino Mountains, below a church camp where his father was caretaker. He was the 13th confirmed fatality from a group of family and friends who were spending Christmas at the camp when the mud rushed down on them.

One boy, Edgar Meza, 12, remains missing in the mudslide, said Chip Patterson, spokesman for the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department.

"We're not going to stop looking for him," Patterson said.

Two other people died Dec. 25 when water swept through a trailer campground about 5 miles to the west in Devore.

The National Weather Service posted flash-flood watches yesterday in eight counties, including San Bernardino. Rainfall of up to 3 inches was forecast.

"But the bad news is, it's already rained up there so the soil's already saturated," said weather specialist Stuart Seto at the Oxnard NWS office. "It probably can't hold much more."

No evacuations were called, but fire stations passed out sandbags and authorities warned residents to be prepared in the San Bernardino Mountains, which tower over the inland area east of Los Angeles. Vast swaths of the range had been burned bare by the wildfires that swept over nearly 750,000 acres of Southern California in October and November.

Flash-flood watches were posted yesterday from San Luis Obispo County south through Santa Barbara and Ventura counties to Los Angeles, and east and south through San Bernardino, Riverside, Orange, and San Diego counties. Gale warnings and small-craft advisories were issued for areas along the coast.

Flash floods on Dec. 25 roared down through the San Bernardino Mountains, sweeping away two buildings at Saint Sophia Camp. Fourteen people at the gathering escaped, but 14 others were carried away by water and mud.

Jorge Monzon, 41, and his wife, Clara, 40, apparently had invited friends and family to celebrate Christmas at the camp, which serves Greek Orthodox churches. Many of the guests were Guatemalan immigrants.

The bodies of Monzon's two daughters were found over the weekend. The bodies of two children found Sunday had washed down from the camp and were tangled in debris more than 4 miles below, in a concrete catch basin in downtown San Bernardino, Patterson said.

The caretaker, his wife, and another woman were found closer to the camp, but it took a bulldozer and heavy equipment to dig them from the deep mud.

Monzon lived at the camp with his family in a two-room apartment. He did not have permission to hold the gathering, said the Rev. John Bakas, dean of St. Sophia Cathedral of Los Angeles.

SEARCH THE ARCHIVES
 
Today (free)
Yesterday (free)
Past 30 days
Last 12 months
 Advanced search / Historic Archives