MINNEAPOLIS -- A tribal chairman's teenage son was sentenced yesterday for exchanging threatening messages with the gunman in last year's shootings on the Red Lake Indian reservation, but the closed hearing frustrated victims' family members.
Louis Jourdain's father, Floyd Jourdain Jr., would not disclose the nature of the 17-year-old's sentence, but his comments suggested it was not severe.
''The judge's ruling will reflect what I've maintained all along . . . my son is a good kid," the elder Jourdain said, adding that his son ''feels extremely terrible about what happened at Red Lake."
Lawyers left the federal court without commenting.
A judge barred victims of the shooting or their survivors from the closed juvenile proceedings, ruling that they were not victims of the crime for which Jourdain was being sentenced and that the proceedings would not answer their questions about the March 21, 2005, rampage.
Jeff Weise, 16, killed his grandfather and the man's companion, then headed to Red Lake High School, where he killed five students, a teacher, and a security guard before killing himself.
Louis Jourdain was once accused of conspiring with Weise. Not knowing his punishment or other details frustrated victims' family members, including Francis Brun, whose son, Derrick, 28, a security guard, was killed.
''It's a double whammy for those of us that are victims, that have been denied the right to gather information about how our family member died and whether there was any evidence . . . that may have given a rundown of Louie's involvement with Jeff Weise," Brun said.
Louis Jourdain admitted last fall that he made threatening interstate communications, a crime that can carry up to five years in prison. Floyd Jourdain has said that authorities examined hundreds of computer messages between his son and Weise. He has said his son admitted to ''inappropriate use of the Internet, but he does not accept responsibility for the 10 lives lost at Red Lake on March 21."