THIS STORY HAS BEEN FORMATTED FOR EASY PRINTING

Files seized from New Orleans group

Nonprofit is focus of Katrina probe

Email|Print|Single Page| Text size + By Becky Bohrer
Associated Press / August 12, 2008

NEW ORLEANS - Federal agents descended yesterday on a nonprofit hired by the city to run a home cleanup program after Hurricane Katrina and were photographed carting off boxes, days after a US attorney announced an investigation involving the organization.

Recent local media reports have scrutinized ties between the former director of the New Orleans Affordable Homeownership Corp., or NOAH, and some top-earning contractors and raised questions over whether some of the cleanup work billed to the city was actually performed.

Agents from the FBI, IRS, and offices of the inspectors general of the US Department of Housing and Urban Development and the city were at the nonprofit's office yesterday morning, FBI spokeswoman Sheila Thorne confirmed. She gave no details, but said agents didn't show up to execute a search warrant.

Mayor Ray Nagin told the City Council last week that the city had been unable to document work on 90 of the roughly 870 projects NOAH claimed to have done. The city was billed for 46 of those 90 projects and would ask contractors involved to document any work done or provide reimbursement, he said.

On Friday, US Attorney Jim Letten confirmed that an investigation involving the nonprofit was underway. Although he did not discuss the focus of the investigation, he said he hoped people with "relevant information" would come forward.

A newspaper's photo showed agents wheeling boxes from the building where NOAH operated. NOAH was hired by the city to run a program meant to help low- income and elderly victims of Hurricane Katrina.

The attorney for the City Council, Russ Herman, said Friday that several council members had received subpoenas from the US attorney's office to produce documents related to NOAH. Yesterday, he added that he believed the full seven-member council had received subpoenas.

Herman said he planned to discuss the situation with council members in an executive session tomorrow.

City Attorney Penya Moses-Fields said it would be inappropriate for the city to comment on whether any subpoena from the US attorney's office had been received by the mayor's office, NOAH's board of directors or staff, or any of the council members.

In an Aug. 1 letter to NOAH chairman Ed Shanklin, Nagin said he was "deeply concerned about the allegations." The board fired the nonprofit's four employees last week. Messages left at a listing for Shanklin were not returned yesterday.

  • Email
  • Email
  • Print
  • Print
  • Single page
  • Single page
  • Reprints
  • Reprints
  • Share
  • Share
  • Comment
  • Comment
 
  • Share on DiggShare on Digg
  • Tag with Del.icio.us Save this article
  • powered by Del.icio.us
Your Name Your e-mail address (for return address purposes) E-mail address of recipients (separate multiple addresses with commas) Name and both e-mail fields are required.
Message (optional)
Disclaimer: Boston.com does not share this information or keep it permanently, as it is for the sole purpose of sending this one time e-mail.