THIS STORY HAS BEEN FORMATTED FOR EASY PRINTING

Serial killing suspect faces new charges

Associated Press / November 10, 2009

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

Your article has been sent.

  • E-mail|
  • Print|
  • Reprints|
  • |
Text size +

CLEVELAND - A Cleveland man was indicted yesterday on rape and attempted murder charges in the investigation that led to the discovery of the remains of 11 people in his house.

Prosecutor Bill Mason said a grand jury charged Anthony Sowell, 50, with seven additional felonies in connection with an attack Sept. 22 at his home. Five aggravated murder charges had already been filed.

Authorities also are investigating whether Sowell is connected to any killings in places he lived while in the military, including Japan, California, and the Carolinas.

FBI behavioral specialists visited the Sowell property and will try to develop a profile of the killings that could help determine whether investigations are needed elsewhere, an FBI spokesman said.

The city of East Cleveland is reviewing three unsolved slayings in 1988 and 1989, after Sowell returned there from service in the Marines and before he went to prison for attempted rape, said Sergeant Ken Bolton, a police detective.

The FBI will review its national database of unsolved crimes for any clues to possible connections to Sowell, particularly at his military service locations. The first step is to get a detailed timeline of his service, the spokesman said.

Police in Coronado, Calif., near Camp Pendleton, said a woman told them she saw Sowell’s mug shot on TV and was sure he had raped her in 1979.