THIS STORY HAS BEEN FORMATTED FOR EASY PRINTING

Deficit plan targets space vendors

NASA not yet worried by look at private firms

This artist’s rendering provided by Sierra Nevada Corp. shows the company’s Dream Chaser spacecraft docking with the International Space Station. This artist’s rendering provided by Sierra Nevada Corp. shows the company’s Dream Chaser spacecraft docking with the International Space Station. (Associated Press/Sierra Nevada Space Systems)
By Marcia Dunn
Associated Press / November 26, 2010

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

Your article has been sent.

Text size +

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. — NASA’s effort to farm out astronauts’ space station trips to private companies over the next decade is under fire again, this time by federal deficit hit men.

Spaceflight vendors stand to lose $1.2 billion in NASA funding in 2015 under a proposal by the cochairmen of President Obama’s bipartisan deficit commission.

Eliminating federal funding for commercial rocket rides is one of dozens of ideas put forth earlier this month. It was No. 24 on the list and, outside of space-exploration circles, was barely noticed, overshadowed by proposed cuts in Social Security and a call for higher taxes.

NASA isn’t overly worried, for now. Neither are the entrepreneurs who are counting on government dollars to hurry their spacecraft and rockets along; they are used to the Earth-mired roller coaster ride. Besides, few if any observers expect the proposed cut to muster enough support.

But the fact that commercial spaceflight was targeted underscores the vulnerability and controversy of the Obama administration’s plan to get American astronauts to the International Space Station via commercial craft once the space shuttles stop flying next year.

“We’re at the point now where it’s either commercial human spaceflight or no human spaceflight in the US,’’ said Elon Musk, the founder and chief executive officer of Space Explorations Technologies Corp.

His California-based SpaceX is one of several companies vying to build rockets and spacecraft that could deliver astronauts or supplies to the space station, freeing NASA up to focus on grander deep-space adventures.

Unless those private businesses come up with safe and reliable means of transport, NASA will be forced to continue buying seats on Russian Soyuz spacecraft at a cost of tens of millions of dollars per person.

A round-trip ticket to the space station in 2011 and 2012 will run NASA as much as $51 million, up from the current $26 million. The price will be $56 million in 2013 and 2014.

With two or three Americans on the space station at any given time, and crew swaps every six months, the costs add up quickly. The orbiting outpost is expected to operate until at least 2020.

“The Russian price goes up every year, and they have a monopoly,’’ said Sierra Nevada Corp.’s Mark Sirangelo. The company is building Dream Chaser, a winged mini-shuttle that it hopes to launch atop a rocket to the space station.

“Why should we create Russian jobs and spend money on Russian technology when there are a number of US companies who could provide the same kind of service?’’ asked Sirangelo, who also serves as chairman of the Commercial Spaceflight Federation.

The federation represents 37 companies employing thousands of Americans working on hardware and new concepts.

NASA does not want to make too much out of the proposal to hack away at commercial space funding.

A space agency spokesman in Washington said there would be no official comment on these what ifs.

NASA has pumped $723 million into the commercial crew and cargo effort.

Obama wanted $6 billion set aside for commercial spaceflight in NASA’s budget over the next five years, an amount that was reduced by Congress in the three-year spending plan that the president signed in October. Further cuts are possible as Congress wrangles over budget appropriations.

SpaceX’s Musk said his Falcon rockets and Dragon capsules could be carrying cargo to the space station next year and people within three years of getting the go-ahead from NASA.

A Falcon 9 is due to blast off in December from Cape Canaveral on the first test flight under NASA’s Commercial Orbital Transportation Services program for space station cargo. The operational Dragon capsule will orbit the Earth a few times for systems testing before making a Pacific splashdown.

This week, the Federal Aviation Administration issued SpaceX a license for spacecraft reentry from orbit — a first for commercial space.

SpaceX’s has a $1.6 billion contract with NASA for 12 cargo flights to the space station. Orbital Sciences Corp., NASA’s other partner on cargo, has a $1.9 billion contract for eight supply hauls. Orbital Sciences is revving up for an early 2011 test launch of its Taurus rocket and Cygnus spacecraft.

Boston.com top stories on Twitter

    waiting for twitterWaiting for Twitter to feed in the latest...